Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Things can't be all doom and gloom!

I have in my hands a wonderful, wonderful thing.


Lab results... Showing my cholesterol significantly improved!



You can't imagine the relief this brings... And the motivation to start taking an active roll in improving my cholesterol!  When my results were so terrible and my GP doctor was telling me that she's never known a diabetic who could get their cholesterol to the levels where they really needed to be on their own, I felt helpless.  Fine, nothing I can do will fix this.  Just give me more medicine, and then more medicine (hormonal birth control) because of that medicine, and then I'll take more insulin because of that medicine!!!  Just whip up a medical cocktail in my bloodstream and kill every delusion I have about control over my body and fate...

But not now!  Bringing down my blood sugar alone brought me to an "OK" level, according to my endo: 170 (down from 238) overall.  My lab results say that below 100 is desirable for diabetics.  I don't know a whole lot about cholesterol, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that I might be able to achieve that through improved diet and exercise.  My GP also said that she wants my HDL ("good" cholesterol) up to at least 70, and it's already improved from 36 to 60.  Again, by replacing bad fats with good fats and getting my self-pitying butt off the couch?  I think I might be able to get to 70!!!

Maybe I'll need cholesterol meds some day, but I don't think today is that day.  Now that my numbers are "OK," I don't feel like my heart is a ticking time bomb anymore.  I just feel like someone who needs to eat better and exercise... which was true before any of this ever came to light.

My current plan:
  • Exercise at least 2 times a week, preferably 3... Even if it's just a walk around the block, DO IT!
  • Do a better job of avoiding trans fats and excess saturated fat. (Please ignore the Burger King chicken sandwich wrapper on the coffee table!  That... that was for my cat!  I swear!)
  • Lose 10 pounds.  Not only does weight loss improve cholesterol, but 10 pounds would put me back into the range where I just feel better!
Now, I'm going to go get dressed for yoga class!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment