Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Meme!

I've never been one to pass up a meme, and this one's just for us people with diabetes (PWDs)!

What type of diabetes do you have:
Type 1

When were you diagnosed: May 3rd, 2010

What's your current blood sugar: Dexcom says 158 (about an hour and a half after my late-night dinner)

What kind of meter do you use: One Touch Ping. (And sometimes a Freestyle Freedom Lite, simply because I still have strips for it.)

How many times a day do you test your blood sugar: 8 on a steady day.

What's a "high" number for you: I'm unhappy with 160 +.

What's do you consider "low": 70 or under, obviously, but 80s and 90s could be "too low" for certain times of day (in relation to meals).

What's your favorite low blood sugar reaction treater: If I have my choice of any treatment, I go for a toddle-size box of 100% juice. I also keep starburst around for when I want something a little more junky, but not so tempting that I'll eat them when not low.

Describe your dream endo: I don't think I've known enough of them to say. Mine is pretty cool. I suppose my dream doctor in general would have more time to spend with me than doctors ever do.

What's your biggest diabetes achievement: So far, on this very short journey, I'd say simply coming to terms with my disease. I'm aware that there will be times when diabetes really gets in the way, but I'm feeling pretty happy despite all of this.

What's your biggest diabetes-related fear: Shortly after I was diagnosed, I would have said "dying in my sleep from low blood sugar." Now? Becoming a burden later in life because of complications... or dementia that me unable to manage my own disease.

Who's on your support team: My husband and my mom lead the team, and all of my close friends are key players.

Do you think there will be a cure in your lifetime: I don't think a cure is around the corner, but perhaps "in my lifetime" is a possibility. More likely, I think we'll have a really awesome treatment within the next ten years... something that takes significantly less maintenance than current options. Maybe an artificial pancreas that can really, truly act "real time" on its own.

What is a "cure" to you: Either transplanting a pancreas/islet cells without the need for anti-rejection drugs and stopping the immune system from killing off the new cells, or an artificial pancreas that is inside the body and somehow "makes" insulin (yeah right).

The most annoying thing people say to you about your diabetes is: I've only had one person tell me what I "can't eat" anymore, but I do have a lot of people ask, "Can you eat that now?" It's normally just out of curiosity, but I hate having to explain that I can eat anything I want... but that some choices aren't as good as others so I should limit them.

What is the most common misconception about diabetes: There are tons. None have really shown up as one I run across often, though.

If you could say one thing to your pancreas, what would it be: It's not your fault. It's not our fault. And all in all... things could be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment